Saloon Blues

 

If you want to hear the latest gist --- not gossip please, nobody here does that --- walk into a saloon.

If names come up in the cause of gisting, that cannot be helped. And if it seems to hover on topical issues and persons of interest, it is just the way of these things, especially when  the gist is juicy.

I take the time to put context around this so you can understand how things went down.

We were in my shop and business was slow. My girl was weaving Sisi Nana's hair. A couple of times, I'd looked at the hair and nearly reprimanded her for the slow pace of work. But, the owner didn't seem to mind. If anything, she was captivated by the story. So, I held my peace.

My neighbour, the seamstress, who was telling the story, appeared to also be having a slow day. She'd left her shop and was in mine, come to think of it, this is the fourth time in as many days this week . Hmmm...I will x-ray this later with Aunty Caro's help. She had an uncanny knack for being able to see things clearly.

Back to my neighbour, she was narrating what happened to someone we'll just call Mama M.

Mama M ran a mobile device outlet. It was not like the bigger ones, with plenty girls standing around and smiling at people passing in hope that they'd buy devices. And may be more. Who knows?I

It was not a small one either. Not like Ikechi's where you had more phone cases and chargers than phones.

Hers was an okay place with reasonable patronage. I'd even gone there once to buy a phone. I'd been discouraged when she refused a 9-month payment plan. She'd even had the effrontery to ask me if it was pregnancy. Imagine!

The meat of my neighbour's gist is that two days ago, kasala bursted at Mama M's.

It has to do with her husband, a fine man who we really do not know his work but who always comes back with flashy cars. I know someone on this street who will do anything to get him to notice her.

Anyway, this girl, wearing shorts, a cropped top, long lashes and plenty makeup, walks in to the shop where Mama M is assisted by two girls, to buy the latest iPhone.

After haggling, they settled on a price. And the girl brought out her card to pay. That is where everything went belly up.

When the card was slotted into the POS machine, it turned out to be Mama M's. The same card she'd given her husband in the morning when he complained he had no money. The same card that contained osusu money.


*image from nibss-plc.com.ng

Share:

Post a Comment

Copyright © John Chidi. Designed by OddThemes